Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflecting on the Research Project Experience

I have gained new experiences by doing research project. I have done many reports in the past. But most of them are technical reports. At first, I expected that we can do the reports easily. But in reality, our group faced many problems and I realized that doing report was not as easy as what I expected.

All the three members of us are international students. Therefore some knowledge we have are limited to certain ranges. Whenever we discussed about the project, we all had gone into very details and ended up with unsatisfied answer. As English is not our mother tongues, our communications was also not very effective. We all can communicate well in our daily lives, but come to detailed discussion; we could not mention what we meant clearly. As the result, we took longer discussion time and had to put in more efforts than others to complete the tasks. We divided the tasks equally and take full responsibility to complete own tasks. We have spent long time on doing research and interpreting results of surveys due to many revision and edition.

However, as we all are being good team players, we managed to overcome all the difficulties and finish our task on time as other groups did. I personally feel we have built new interpersonal relationships. Sometimes, we did not communicate verbally, but from seeing the facial expressions during meeting, we were able to find out what our group members wanted to say. We keep contacts with group members through sms and e mail everyday to update our report status.

Therefore, I would like to summarize that although there were some weaknesses like minor disagreements, communications and weak report writing skills, we were able to finish the report successfully. The research projects benefits me in many ways.

5 comments:

huizhen said...

I agree with you that doing the research report is not very easy. There were many new things that had to be done for this report that I had not done before for other reports. I believe that team work is very important to overcome problems. My group also faced quite a number of problems while doing the report but we managed to solve them as a team. I also feel that doing this research project is beneficial as we have learnt many new things in the process.

제니 said...

It is good that your group noticed each other's facial expression. Non-verbal cues are as equally important as verbal communication because they also convey important messages to the other party. At times, it may be an even better indication to how the person is feeling at that time.

I think it is inevitable that all group will face some problems at some point of time when doing the project. However, we should all be positive and persevere till the end to complete the project together.

audrey said...

Hi Nang! It is also my first time doing an academic report. Previously, I have always been writing scientific reports.

I have read your group's draft report. I must say that despite all the difficulties your group has met, your report turned out to be well written. I am glad that your group managed to overcome all obstacles and complete the project on time.

靥靥Caroline said...

I had almost the same feelings as you did for our project. we did encounter the language problem and some weak communication skills like thinking of too much detail to end up with unsatisfied answers. However, we overcame all these problems by effective intergroup communication and good teamwork. this was one of the most important things I have learnt from this project. And I think the positive learnings in this project would benefit all of us in the future.

grace kim said...

Hi Nang, am glad that despite the many difficulties faced, your group managed to pull through it successfully. I can understand that it was definitely more challenging for your group as all of you are international students but I'm happy that you all took it in your stride and did the best you could!