Friday, November 14, 2008

Final Reflection

The knowledge and benefits that I gained from the professional communication course are tremendous. I am sure the effective communication skills I learnt from this course will be useful in the rest of my life journey.

Before taking this course, I thought non verbal communication (NVC) is not very useful since we can communicate verbally. But through this module, I realized that NVC is important and it can make the communication more effective. It is also different from culture to culture and place to place. Therefore , intercultural communication cannot be left out because culture links to a wide range of human feelings and identity. I have also learnt that we need to practise how to listen carefully and actively to others in order to create effective communications.

The resume and job application cover letter writing have improved my writing capabiilties.I have applied a few jobs and gone for job interviews in the past. But I never knew that my cover letter needed to be matched with the job requirements. What I did wrongly was just prepared one general cover letter and submited my job applications by using this general letter. Thanks to ES2007S course and Ms Kim, I learnt how to draft a proper resume and promote myself. Learning taking meeting minutes and preparing meeting agenda is very useful for future career life.

Needless saying, doing research project and giving oral presentations skills will help me a lot for my next year final year projects and design projects. Having a blog buddy and receiving comments from friends improved my weaknesses and understand better others’ persepectives.

Overall, through this effective communication course, I have learnt various useful skills.

6 comments:

제니 said...

Initially, I also thought that non verbal cues are unimportant when we communicate with others. However, after this course, I realized that some non verbal cues compliment the speech while other can contradict the speech. Non verbal cues also differ from countries to countries. Thus, we have to pay attention to them when communicating with other people.

Like you, I had the misconception that it is acceptable to send a "general" letter to all the companies which we want to apply a job with. Fortunately, after this course, I realized we must never do that and we should write all cover letters and resumes to cater to the job requirements.

Writing my views on a blog and commenting on my classmates' blogs also made understand my classmates and also myself better. I also agree that having a blog buddy to edit our posts helps to point out the areas where our writing skills needs to be polished.

Overall, I enjoyed the classes and have benefited from it.

靥靥Caroline said...

I also felt that I learned a lot from this module, especially through the group project and oral presentation. Thank you Nang for completing them with me! I learned a lot from you--to support teammate, to empathize with others, to be serious of work,etc. Thank you again, and wish you all the best!

Brad Blackstone said...

Good for you, Nang! I'm glad the course was useful and rewarding for you!

All the best on the rest of your journey!

Brad

En Lin said...

Nonverbal communication is indeed very important in our everyday life. Lack of understanding of how people from other culture act and behave in different situation may result in misunderstandings and often misconceptions about them. Thus intercultural communication is important to us.

For me, I am really glad that I took this course and learn how to write resume and cover letters because I never had any proper experience in writing them. Most of the time when I applied for temporary jobs, I had to fill up a form only so this was a whole new learning experience for me.

Thank you for making my learning experience a better one through the sharing of your culture and ideas. All the best for exams! =)

grace kim said...

Hi Nang,

Am really happy to hear you have benefited tremendously from the course.

I hope the skills learnt will serve you well in your daily life as well as in your academic/professional pursuits.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

All the best as you continue to refine and master the art of communication!

Anonymous said...

you have a great professional life my sister, carry on.